Next Page
Author  Topic 
Page: of 2

Lutonian
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
9398 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  10:27:12      
A 15-year-old Muslim girl from Luton should be in school studying for her GCSE exams. Instead, she has spent the last year at home because of a bitter row between herself and her school, which has sparked a legal battle that has gone all the way to the High court. The dispute in question is not related to truancy, disruption or violent behaviour as one might expect, but simply that she regards the jilbab (an full flowing outer garment) as the correct dress “for a mature Islamic woman in public”, in accordance with her Islamic beliefs.

On the first day of the new academic year in September 2002, she arrived at school attired in the jilbab - a long, loose fitting garment that she wore over her clothes. She was rebuked for violating the school’s dress code and was ordered to go home and change into the one of the alternative uniform options that was offered for its high proportion of Muslim students - the traditional shalwar kameez. However despite this, she insisted upon wearing the jilbab, a matter she considered as fard (an Islamic obligation) and therefore as important to her as her prayers. The school informed her that she could not attend her lessons unless she chose an approved uniform.

Last week saw her case come before the High Court in London, where the arguments for and against wearing the jilbab in school were aired. A representative for the School had argued that they were a multi-cultural and multi-faith secular school, which permitted Muslim girls to wear trousers, skirts or traditional shalwar kameez. It was argued that young woman had not been excluded but she had chosen to stay away. The school also stated that girls could rely on the school policy to ‘resist’ pressures that could be brought upon them to wear the jilbab. Further, it was said there would be the risk of division if the jilbab were to be adopted. This could lead to two classes of people - those who wore jilbab and those who wore shalwar kameez, with those wearing the jilbab being regarded as ‘better Muslims.’ In addition concerns were raised on health and safety grounds - namely the dangers of “slipping or tripping” while wearing the jilbab. The school argued that if an accident were to occur, it would be no defence to say the school had allowed pupils to exercise their human rights.

This case highlights to the Muslim community a clear dilemma that is faced not just in schools, but also in the workplace and wider society. As Muslims become increasingly aware of their religion and identity, they are beginning to understand the fact that many of the practical principles of Islam contradict with established norms and values of western society. These include not only dress code, but also issues as broad ranging as educational curricula, personal conduct, rites of citizenship, political participation, and contract law to name but a few.

What is of note about this particular case is the weakness and glaring contradictions that appear within the arguments presented by the school authorities. For example, if wearing a jilbab risked creating a ‘division’ or ‘judgement about piety’ with those girls who chose not to wear it, then why could not the same distinction be drawn for those who chose to wear the hijab (headscarf) and those who do not, or those who elect the shalwar kameez instead of trousers? Wider still than the Muslim community, why is the same risk not highlighted about the Sikhs who chose to wear the turban and those who do not, or the Jews who wear the skull-cap and those who do not?

With respect to the fear of the jilbab being a risk to health and safety, are not those who wear long skirts or sport the current trend of extra-long baggy trousers, just as likely to trip over? Additionally, the jilbab is not a new phenomena limited to Britain, it is standard attire worn by millions of Muslim women throughout the world. These women go about their daily chores and activities without any greater risk to health and safety than their western counterparts.

The clear fact is that all the arguments brought against pupils in school wearing the jilbab are baseless and self-contradictory. The notion of banning the jilbab in school is nothing other than a direct attack against Islamic values, the reasons for which go far deeper than what is professed. It is not the garment itself that is the subject of the attack, but rather the thought and belief behind the decision to wear it, which is being challenged. The arguments presented are nothing but a thinly veiled attack against that which would motivate a young Muslim student to decide to wear Islamic attire.

This is especially important since we find these arguments being made by the school itself. Schools and schoolteachers often see themselves as guardians of liberal secular values, whose duty is to impart their elevated beliefs into their students. However, the growing shift in the Muslim mindset towards ideological Islam, a belief that establishes the worship of a Creator and manifests in both personal and public life, not only contradicts the core values of a secular establishment but also poses as a real threat for them.

This is why outward signs of adherence to Islam, especially by Muslim girls who are seen as ‘oppressed’, very often agitate schools into taking punitive measures to force adherence to the western values. However, by taking such oppressive measures and justifying them with weak and baseless excuses, the defenders of ‘liberal ideals’ have miserably failed to win the intellectual struggle.

The firm stance that this brave young Muslim woman has taken for the sake of preserving her Islamic identity is to be commended, and is no doubt a strong indication of the growing revival of Islam in Britain and throughout the West.

The Tarmac Terrorist

fawaz
Super Duper Asian

United Kingdom
2966 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  12:30:07            
i'd say da system herez a bit f**** up!

wag1 ppl!

jemsbhai
Super Duper Asian

USA
4466 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  18:39:05            
why stay here then?

maybe life is just a dream

BengaLTiger
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
2900 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  21:16:12              
Fawaz it’s more established then in other countries, You should count yourself quiet lucky! At least here in the UK, We as Muslims have established ourselves and received recognition like no other, compared to other isolated Muslims in many other countries.

//////////////// [BengalTiger ] ////////////////

http://www.Banglachat.net
http://www.Bdchat.com

fawaz
Super Duper Asian

United Kingdom
2966 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  10:10:54            
yh true........but still man, thatz an out rage i say (as stated by Jems) lol

wag1 ppl!

BengaLTiger
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
2900 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  16:23:03              
BumbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaclaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaRRrTS!

jemsbhai
Super Duper Asian

USA
4466 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  04:57:54            
yes, outrage indeed. but look across to a place called Guantanamo bay, an enclave in an island nation in the caribbean ... where a few muslims are cringing, not for human rights but animal rights!!

Maybe life is just a dream

BengaLTiger
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
2900 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  14:08:34              
No really, just goes to show what you get for trying to prove a point. *Pesky* little girl, People should be glad they live in the UK, Being allowed to express your religious beliefs as well as being appreciated. But you get the occasional people i.e.: This shabina begum "aged 13" who starts taking the bloody mick and sadly shows up the rest of us Muslims. I remember not long ago, lets say 5-10 years ago, Muslim people in all parts of western civilisations never wore a hijaab or a head scarf anywhere? Is this a new trend or something amongst the girls like another fashion accessory a means to stand out amongst the crowd which is so common amongst rebellious young teenagers? I don’t have anything against those wearing a hijaab or covering your head being a Muslim myself I wouldn't say no to my sister or my daughters if they decided to cover themselves up. But I sure will teach them to respect other cultures as well as there own. Sometime stinks folks and I’m sorry if this post sounds a little biased especially my views on this girl and her case. I just didn't like the way this whole thing went.

.....("`-/")_.-'"``-._
.......|.,`;.-._....)-;-,_`)
.....(v_,)'.._..)`-.\...``-'
...._.- _..-_/./.((.'.....[SuperBengalTiger]
..((,.-'...((,/

Lutonian
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
9398 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  15:09:20      
Hmm fair point BT, but if you're saying this country allows you to express your religious beliefs then why would they stop her wearing the jilbaab if that is her religious belief (which it is)?

Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak.

SAF
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  22:59:54    
Bengal tiger i completly disagree wid u der!

quote:
But you get the occasional people i.e.: This shabina begum "aged 13" who starts taking the bloody mick and sadly shows up the rest of us Muslims

u think this gal is showing us up coz she wants 2 dress in da correct Islamic way?? i dnt think she's takin da mick....ok der r oda ways of dealin wid dis...she cud hav gone 2 an Islamic skool or sumwhere wer dey wud hav let her dress da way she wants but she was jst standin up 4 her rites , this skool cnt stop her frm dressin da way which is correct!

jemsbhai
Super Duper Asian

USA
4466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  04:22:56            
@BT: i know where ur coming from ... a remember someone say to someone else "stop wearing that jilbab in my face!!", among other things ...

Maybe life is just a dream

khilari
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  15:31:43    
i believe that props should go out to a young girl who is fighting for what she believes in. Alhamdulillaah that someone can have a conviction in her heart so strong that it means her principle is strong and steadfast - sure, whether she is right or wrong is debateable, but i think respect should go to her for standing up for her beliefs.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"

-Plato

longi_nai
Asian Baby

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  23:30:37    
Assalamu-alaikum

i htink its great she has chosen this way of life.but at same time u got keeop all things in balance..esp when it comes to dealing wid non -believers. i mean the school has allowed the shalwer kameez to be worn..which is perfectly fine Islamically coz like its not goona be skin tight n u goona be covered so only ur hands, fete n face showing nayway. for the school to even do this much is a lot!

we hsudnt try tke things too far..step at a time. great to see our Sisters taken such interst n Imaan into thier hearts,but u can keep well within Islam n stil maintain within everyday rules.
if she ot special treatment n allowed to wear jilbab..then wat about a punk who says its part ofhhis faith n spirituality to lookliek he does! or a buddhist wid his robe..got put these thigns into perpective. im not sying wear westernised clothes that r skin tight n so on..NO WAY am i implyign that. but oen shud not go crazy over small things that can easily be accounted for by anoda suitable way..in this case shalwer kammez wid a headscraf that covers completely
anywaz..tke cre peeps

ws

SAF
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  11:29:54    
true!
bt wot if dis gal only feels comfortable in wearing a jilbaab?
coz its long n baggy...dats how islamic cloths supposed 2 b....nt lyk shalwar kameez!?

longi_nai
Asian Baby

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  19:52:45    
well u can get skirts that r long n dont stick to u...u can also get shalwer kameez thats not skin tight.

i mean imagine a Harre Krishna in Saudi demanding he be allowed to cum to school wid orange cloth n a tambarine....i cud really see dat one being allowed!

khilari
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  00:14:49    
Salaam,

ultimately this sister has a calling in her heart to do what she feels is right. the judges in this country will insha'allaah make decisions based on the laws of this land, which we must abide by.

but i don't see anything wrong with her speaking her mind. it is people like her who make changes in the world, not people who sit back quietly when their mind yearns to speak out.

i agree that perhaps the compromise already offered to her by her school was satisfactory and that there is some benefit in maintaining a uniform in school, however i support her for doing what she believes is right. Allaah (Swt) knows best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Plato

BengaLTiger
Asian Moderator

United Kingdom
2900 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  01:11:40              
Rules regarding Muslim women's (and men's) attire are derived from the Quran, Islam's revealed text, and the traditions (hadith) of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). In the Quran, God states: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and adornments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers... (a list of exceptions)"

[Chapter 24, verses 30-31]
Also, "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested." [Chapter 33, verse 59]
In one tradition, the Prophet Muhammad is quoted as saying: "...If the
woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but
this --- and he pointed to his face and hands."
Remember the jilbab is is a very general term that may be translated into English simply as "outer garment". There are many styles that are possible, and there are many outer garments in many Muslim cultures that can be used for what the Quran means by jilbab. These may be called "abaya", "chador", "djellaba", "burnous", "haik", "milaya", or a thousand other names. They may even be called "jilbab".
What we must always keep clear in our minds is that there is the Quranic jilbab, which is any outergarment that meets the criteria set out in the Shari'a; and there may also be a "cultural jilbab" that refers to a very specific style. As Muslims we are responsible for following the Shari'a not Arab culture. When a word is used in the Quran or hadiths, we need to give it the definition it has according to the Shari'a, not the definition it might have in Arab culture.
So whether you wear an abaya, a chador, a djellaba, or indeed a "jilbab", be sure that it meets the criteria of the Shari'a:
• It is an outergarment, an extra layer, something that you wear over your clothes
• It is made of thick, opaque fabric so that nobody can see what is under it
• It is loose so that nobody can see the contours of your figure
• If you are going to wear a coat-like jilbab, be sure that your head and neck are covered by your khimar and that your feet are completely covered by your socks and shoes.

I’m sorry if i have upset anyone with my previous post regarding this sensitive matter, which was some what of an outburst then really expressing my true feelings on this matter regarding sister shabia and the jilbab. Anyway I have taken a note to educate myself on this matter more and as a Muslim make myself more aware or tune myself better, preparing more for the questions which have been risen and understanding the true purpose of this whole discussion.

.....("`-/")_.-'"``-._
.......|.,`;.-._....)-;-,_`)
.....(v_,)'.._..)`-.\...``-'
...._.- _..-_/./.((.'.....[SuperBengalTiger]
..((,.-'...((,/

Edited by - BengaLTiger on 26 Jun 2004 01:12:23

SAF
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  12:29:34    
longi-nai....u still hink shalwar kameez meets the criteria of the shari'a??

Openminded_gal
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  21:51:00        
I think it's taking it a step to far.Of course she has her choice to speak out but it's not like they said she can't wear the hijab and since jilbab is secondary she should wait till she's at college to wear it. When your here in the uk i think you should abide by the system unless it goes against islamic principles.

------------------------
So many guys are eligiable for dating but not many who reach the standard for the
lifetime committment of marriage.

The mind is by far the most erogenous zone

http://Writing.Com/authors/inspire

longi_nai
Asian Baby

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  22:58:04    
yes i do..coz the points mentioned above r all met if u wear shalwer kameez that doesnt expose skin or body. u dotn hav to wear a jilbab to meet Shariah requirements of dress code.

iknow mnay shalwer kameez may not meet these requiremtns..but it is u as an individual who pick the particular style u buy. so yes..i still think its ok

ws

khilari
Junior Asian

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  00:39:12    
bengalitiger

nice post

just wanted to say tho that, that is one interpretation of the Qur'anic text which not everyone may follow. many different schools of Fiqh have slightly different interpretations with regards to a woman's islamic dress. one who wishes to do more than the minimum will surely not be found to be at fault - unless of course they are breaking rules/laws of the place in which they live, which is why this becomes a bit of a grey are when it concerns this sister.

salaam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Plato
Page: of 2
 Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Asianforum.co.uk © AsianForum
This page was made by an Asian in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000